30
Dec

Things are changing? No, things have changed!

Written on December 30, 2011 by Juan Lago-Novás in News

A few weeks ago I saw this job opportunity offered by Zaha Hadid Architects and managed by Ascent Talent Management. When I first saw it I thought it would be for a design architect, 3d specialist or some kind of design related job… My positive surprise was when I read that the offer was to be “General Manager”.

I think you will all agree that a job offer for a General Manager is fairly easy to see in other industries, but not so much in architecture, specially in an architecture practice and probably even less in a design oriented practice such as Zaha’s.

This means just one thing, things are not changing, they have already changed. This proves that being just a good designer is not good enough any more to be a “successful” practice; and by “successful” I mean a practice that through their design philosophy is able to adapt their business model to be feasible and continue having work maintaining the quality of their design.

But at the same time I feel that finding such profile is extremely difficult. Mainly because us, architects, never received any or vey little business education at all. Very few architects attend to MBA’s and professional experience is not always the best way of doing things. Ascent might need to look through our MAMD class…

Congratulations to ZHA for their understanding of the new environment and their good senior management team.